- Standard Features
- Optional Features
Nickels Buccaneer 18
Why Choose a Buccaneer 18?
For the day cruiser:
- Open interior offers plenty of room for a group
- Comfort – a sit-in rather than a sit-on boat
- Lightweight design makes for easy transport and launching
- Easily handled by anywhere from 1 to 6 people
- Safe—positive floatation and sealed air tanks
For the racer:
- Can handle a wide range of conditions
- Simple set-up with up-to-date Harken rigging
- A fun and competitive class associations in one-design sailing
- Vinylester resin is used producing a stronger, faster, longer lasting boat
- Easy mast set-up and take-down
- Symmetrical waterline, eliminates weather helm caused by heeling
- Harken Carbo blocks and Racelite hardware
- Custom colors available
- Trailers built specifically to support the Buccaneer 18 are available
Designed in 1966 by Rod Macalpine-Downie and Dick Gibbs, the Buccaneer 18 incorporates classic elements that have made this racing dinghy a consistent performer for more than 35 years. With its performance hull design, the Buccaneer easily gets up onto an exhilarating plane in 8-10 knots of breeze. An integrated spinnaker launch tube, roller furling jib, and well-constructed sail plan make it the ideal two-handed racing dinghy. Beautifully balanced and easily handled, the Buccaneer continues to appeal to both seasoned competitors and new sailors.
Weighing in at only 500 pounds, the Buccaneer can easily be transported and launched from a trailer or winch. A comfortable cockpit arrangement and simple rigging, round out the Buccaneer’s design, making it a great day sailor for the entire family.
Nickels Boat Works has completely reworked the Buccaneer 18 deck and interior mold. “Beautiful—Fantastic” are hardly adequate to describe this year’s Buccaneer 18. The
interior floor has also been changed to ensure greater footing and the non-skid deck
provides added safety when working in those areas.
Pricing – Standard Race-Rigged Buccaneer 18: $15,995
The 2016 Nickels Buccaneer 18 includes:
- Roller furling Spinnaker pole with on boom storage
- Boomvang 8 to 1 Cunningham
- Spinnaker guy and sheet with Harken Carbo Ratchamatic blocks
- Nickel’s fully rigged mast with all internal halyards and topping lift
- Stainless steel stand rigging with Stay-master turnbuckles standard
- Nickels Centerboard and Rudder built to last with unidirectional fiberglass
- Nickels custom jib cars with Harken Carbo Ratchamatic blocks
- Harken Carbo hardware standard
- Add your sails and this boat is ready to sail ‘Right out of the box’
Sails and covers available from all manufactures: North, Vermont Sailing Partners, Benson, Quantum, Schurr, Mack, The Sailor’s Tailor. Sail prices are discounted 10% with new boat purchase.
White is standard, but custom colors available at a modest charge
What customers say
“The Nickels Buccaneer 18 is worth every penny I paid for it. These boats are built to last and built to perfection. Please get a new Nickels Bucc, you will not be disappointed.”
– John Hammerslough, Richmond, VT